Tuesday 18 May 2010

Unite Stalled Again

In Just under an hours time the court of appeal will hear from Unite in their quest to overturn a ruling given yesterday preventing them from striking.

As Unite are quite a large Union you would think that they could get a matter like balloting their members on strike action - especially when you think about how much they love their strike action. Yet for the second time in this dispute they have been stopped from striking by the law. The first time (Back at Christmas) I think it was more serious, I seem to remember that it was to do with Balloting people no longer employed. This time it seems that they simply did not do enough to advertise the result - Again you would assume there was a plan established for this.

Personally I think this is quite possibly the most stupid of all the strikes I have heard - Unbelievable with Bob Crow being General Secretary of the RMT. but they went on strike because they didn't want to operate from Heathrow with the same amount of staff as operated from Gatwick, they were told if they went on strike they would lose their travel perks, they went on strike, they lost their perks and now they want them back. Welcome to the real world, I have as one of my targets that I have to have a "Company Attitude" if I am publicly not supporting my company I will not receive my bonus, luckily my company are really great so not an issue, This is not victimisation it is simply my Bonus is not a part of my wages it is additional.

They are also having trouble with more than 50 staff members who have been disciplined over their roles in the strikes, Unite want them to face no discipline as you can not get disciplined for taking strike action - However from what I have heard from within BA some of these people have been alleged to have intimidated people not going on strike. Surely if the right to strike is as Tony Woodley (Unite's Joint Leader) says a Fundamental Human Right, surely so is the right to go to work free from intimidation... or are Human rights only for Fee Paying members.

No comments:

Post a Comment