Friday 14 May 2010

Entering the New Nuclear Age?

Chris Huhne has today outlined the coalition's feelings over Nuclear power, If I was still a member of the council I would have to declare an interest on this one as my company EDF are the world leader in Nuclear and after purchasing British Energy last year are also the UK's biggest Nuclear Generator. It would therefore be no surprise to know I am pro nuclear and strongly believe that the time to invest in the next generation of plants is here (in fact a few years overdue) I was pleased when the Tories went into the election in favour of Nuclear but have to admit was slightly worried when Chris Huhne was made Energy Secretary as obviously the Lib Dems were opposed.


However it does look like there will be a new generation of reactors after all as Mr Huhne has said that as long as no public money is involved a private consortium would most likely be successful in obtaining permission to build a Nuclear Power Station. Now I am not nearly senior enough in the company to know if they were hoping for public money but I doubt it.






The New More Efficient, Less Waste and Air Strike Proof European Pressure Reactor (EPR)

I know that the Lib Dems would prefer all energy to come from renewables, and whilst I think this is an admirable goal and I do personally love to see Wind Turbines, Dams and Solar Fields - In fact one of my favourite memories of travel is watching the Waldpolenz Solar Park coming to life at sunrise whilst taking a trip across Germany.

A small part of the vast solar generating park in Eastern Germany

But unfortunately I believe that we are at least two decades away from a permanent solution to the problems of Consistency and dependability which we have with Wind and Solar. And with many of our current generation options at or beyond their operational lifespan Nuclear is the only thing that can bridge the gap and offer the freedom from the volatility of fossil fuels that the economy and the environment so badly need.

No comments:

Post a Comment