Tuesday 11 May 2010

The Joys of INDIRECT Excel Function



I have just been working on a spreadsheet and have finally solved an issue that has bugged me for a while. I know this has been quite obvious but I have been very slow where this is concerned.



If you want to select a total from each sheet in a workbook you can easily select it using the INDIRECT function.



If you have a spreadsheet containing data on each page, called January, February etc... and you want to make a summery sheet you can use this formula.



=SUM(INDIRECT(L4&"!$H$3:$J$47")) where column L contains your month name and each sheet contains the data you want summed in the grid H3:J47 then when you copy down the month names it will automatically address the range to the correct sheet.



I can't believe I have only just realised this would work.





No comments:

Post a Comment