Wednesday 19 May 2010

A Possible Appology to Mr. Clegg

Today I heard my first speech from a Lib Dem that I have ever enjoyed listening too. Which was good as I heard Lembit Opik talking earlier who always annoys me. But today Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister actually started to speak like a Liberal!

His proposed reforms, which I am not all in favour of, should at least take some power from Westminster and replace some back in the control of the rest of us.

He mentioned a partially elected House of Lords - I am against a "Partially" elected house as I think it should be either elected or unelected. That said whilst I agree with the principal of an elected Lords I do think it is often important to have an unelected watch on the workings of parliament as the views of the many are not always right (Hitler was elected after all.)

Scrap the ID cards - this is another that I am torn on, I actually think that an ID card is a good idea, what I would like is one card that can work as an ID card, Passport (not just in EU), Driving License (with no paper part.), NI card and anything else I have to carry around, I suppose in short I am not against the idea if it has a provable improvement to my day to day life.

Recall Corrupt MP's - I like this idea, personally I think it should always have been there, I would like some more detail though.

Ask the public which laws should go - this is an interesting one as the Lib Dems have removed the Tory pledge to repeal the Human Rights act, I think there is a very real chance that this may be one of the laws the public want repealed.

So my feelings are that whilst they have not brought up points which all appeal to me, I think after 13 years of "Nanny State" and Big Government, I am willing to give big society and "Adult State" a try, even if it means apologising to all the Lib Dems out there. Well except Lembit.

No comments:

Post a Comment