Thursday 20 May 2010

New Olympic Mascots

When I heard on the Radio this morning details of the new mascots for 2012 described I thought there was going to be another example of bad design decisions which seem to have plagued the games, after all there was wide spread ridicule at the observation tower and the 2012 Logo is in my opinion a real disgrace. Now when a new Logo is launched people do tend to dislike it as it is different and not something they are used to, over time however they get used to it and then start to like it. This is not how I feel about the 2012 logo, I have a 6 ft copy of the logo next to my desk at work (As we are a Tier 1 Partner) and even my Bank card has a 2012 logo. but still every time I see it I am reminded how much I dislike it. so hearing that Lord Coe & Co have selected two giant, one eyed Aliens filled me with dread.


Well here they are

And I like them, they are fresh and dynamic, I like their metallic look and think they are good characters with good merchandising potential, in short I think they have it right for once.

And their names, Wenlock and Mandeville are also a great touch, Greece may have started the Olympics, and it was as always the French who decided to try and create a global federation for them but it was at Much Wenlock in Shropshire that they really started and Stoke Mandeville where the Paraolympic games started. so in picking these names they are saying that unlike Football, Rugby, Cricket and others Great Britain may not be the first place you think of for the Olympics, but like so many other great institutions they too can trace their path back to these shores.

No comments:

Post a Comment