Friday 21 May 2010

Hot Tub Time Machine

Out to the Cinema again last night, this time the film to be viewed was the zanily titled “Hot Tub Time Machine” Now you get a lot of funny looks when you mention this title to people and I imagine it was probably quite a hard concept to sell to the execs, but it was a good film. As I am sure you can imagine from the title it is a telling bio-pic of the 10th Century Russian Revolutionary Leader Lourdo Trishesky… well perhaps not. In fact it is about four guys who travel back in time to 1986 in a, you guessed it, Hot Tub.


Now I accept that the premise was a little bit dodgy but the humour was reasonably well done, I am not really a fan of gross out humour but this was well enough acted to make it slightly more than a cringe fest. It is quite like an American pie for the middle ages.

The film stars John Cusack playing, yet again, A guy who can’t maintain a steady relationship moping about the break up of a relationship and cursing the way his life has turned out. Luckily I have always been a fan of High Fidelity so I don’t really mind having watched it again, anyone who watches Cusack in this film will not be surprised to know that Director Steve Pink was a Writer on High Fidelity.

For my money the best performance of the film goes to Rob Corddry who plays the group’s Loser. After all each group of teenagers has a group loser, if yours didn’t, guess who it was. He plays the part perfectly getting into scrapes and causing problems for his friends whilst all the time showing parts of his personality which could explain why he is like that in the first place.

The main thing that will get you with this film is the pure speed at which it runs from one scene to the next criss-crossing the major characters plot lines so quickly that if you stop and think about it you would get a headache trying to work out why characters act the way they do (Answer to get to the next set up.) However if you want to think about a film I suggest you give this one a miss. So whilst this is not the funnies film I have seen in the last 12 months (Zombieland) it is a good laugh for a couple of hours, I have one complaint however I can’t say what it is as I have no interest in ruining the film, but overall it didn’t really detract from the rest of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment