Friday 14 May 2010

A Nightmare on Cinema Street


Last night I went to see a film I was greatly looking forward to a Nightmare on Elm Street the new version of the original, of cause they call it a re imagining - why are they never remakes any more?



Now I am going to assume that you are familiar with the originals, There is a chance that if you have not seen the originals it would give you a different opinion.



The film is directed by Samuel Bayer who I have only ever known as a Music Video Director, so you would expect that at least the music would have been good - It wasn't



The film is also produced by my least favourite Hollywood entity Michael Bay, There have not been many films released lately that were unoriginal, uninspiring or just a copy of something that has gone before where Bay has not been involved. As if trying to pass of a remake of Parts: The Clonus Horror as his original film The Island was not bad enough I thought he had finally accepted his limitations as a film maker when instead of making Transformers 2 he decided to make a biopic of Megan Fox's backside. but I should stop now as I can talk about the lameness of Bay for years (And some day I might, but its bad for my blood pressure.)

Onto the film itself, The film was Lame. Gone was the suspense, the terror. In came the glove bursting through the body, and again, and again. In came the exploding blood packs. and most annoyingly in came prepubescent EMO kids mopping around feeling sorry for themselves. The Iconic Freddy dragging his claw along the boiler room lost a lot of its menace as the special effects muppets seemed to get carried away with pyros exploding miles away from his hand.

All in all the effect was for a slow paced lifeless horror movie that was more Blood than suspense. I was sat in the cinema thinking how nice it would be to fall asleep and if I was really lucky be visited by Freddie and not have to wake up to watch the end of the movie!

I must remember my rule, If it Says Michael Bay on the box, it must be trash in the box!


In an interview, producer Brad Fuller initially explained that they were following the same line they did with their Friday the 13th remake, by abandoning the things that made the character less scary—the film's antagonist, Freddy Krueger, would not be "cracking jokes" as had become a staple of his character in later films—and focusing more on trying to craft a "horrifying movie". More like removing what made it watchable to focus on a more sleep inducing movie.
I thought for a second that Freddie might have taken over the production to try and get lots of victims at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment