Wednesday 26 May 2010

England's 23

As I mentioned in my post after the Mexico game England must drop 7 of the current 30 man squad after sunday's game against Japan.

My opinion is that the players who should go are:
Emile Heskey (Not going to happen as for some bizarre reason Capello loves him.)
Shaun Wright-Phillips (a good player but third in line for right midfield behind Lennon and Walcott)
Adam Johnson (no experience, will be ready for a world cup, just not this one.)
Michael Carrick (unless Barry is unfit, Carrick just looks to lazy these days.)
Matthew Upson (just not as good as other options.)
Ledley King (as much as I rate the spurs captain, you can't take injury risks in your world cup squad.)

So my squad for South Africa would be
GK: Hart, James and Green (in fact Paul Robinson would be my first choice.)
DF: Carragher, Cole, Dawson, Ferdinand, Johnson, Baines, Terry, Warnock
MF: Barry (if fit, otherwise Carrick), Cole, Gerrard, Huddlestone, Lampard, Milner, Parker, Walcott
FW: Crouch, Defoe, Bent, Rooney.

With my preferred starting line up:

GK: Green
LB: Cole
CB: Terry
CB: Dawson
RB: Johnson
LM: Cole
CM: Gerrard
DCM: Huddlestone
ACM: Lampard
RM: Aaron Lennon
ST: Rooney

Now obviously it is a risk playing the five man midfield and leaving out the club captain, However Rooney is good enough to play up front alone, Cole and Lennon give plenty of attacking support and options and Ferdinand has simply not been good enough. And I don't think he has done anything to deserve the armband anyway, I would give it Terry (or rather I wouldn't have taken it away from him.) After all what has someones private (or not so private) life got to do with their ability to captain a team, give him back the armband and let him prove he deserves it on the pitch, not in the newspapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment