Monday 14 June 2010

Thanks to inconsiderate motorists for the Legionaires

This story from the BBC caught my eye at lunch time, it was not necessarily the fact that windscreen water could increase the risk of legionnaires per se that interested me although I was quite interested in how this spread so much infection when after all most washer fluid is sprayed on the window as cars are driving so I do not really see how it would cause such an infection.

When I thought about it a bit later I realised that if this really is an issue then it in fact may not be the driver of the car who is most at risk, in the summer riding around on my bike I am often sprayed in the face by drivers who for some unknown reason have washer bottles which spray a high arc above the car and onto the windscreen of the car behind, or as is sometimes the case, into the face of the biker behind who has opened his visor to clear the steam. Now it has always made me feel reasonably bad to think that on the average ride to work I was being sprayed with Antifreeze two or three times, now apparently I have to add legionnaires to the list.

Now I am torn between two thoughts, on the one hand I don’t really like the taste of anti-freeze and it stings my eyes when I get a face full, but on the other at least the Anti-Freeze kills the legionnaire’s disease. In an ideal world of cause I wouldn’t get sprayed at all, but I don’t expect that to happen anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment