Friday 25 June 2010

New "Adult" Internet Domain

Icann the governing body which oversees web domains have given approval for the creation of a new “Adult” internet domain for Adult Material. The new .xxx domain names should be available by early 2011. Personally I support this move, I know that when a lot of people hear this idea they would prefer them not to get any websites at all but surely it is better that the sites are easily identifiable. This will enable parents to block this entire domain and therefore stop their children from accessing unsuitable material. It will also prevent people from accessing inappropriate material accidentally. A few years ago I was looking for a picture of a movie poster, I happily typed “Bad Boys” into google – What came back was a bit more of an education than I wanted. Having the .xxx domain would have instantly warned you that you had made a mistake and it was not the kind of image you require.

No comments:

Post a Comment