Wednesday 2 June 2010

Lembit Opik to Start Stand Up Tour


I’m not sure how I missed this when the Express broke it last month but it appears that “politician” and claimed psychic Lembit Opik is to start a 30 date tour of stand up. Now I obviously have no idea how this will go and so can not carry judgement of it until I do, however I am not imagining it will go well. This is not like Parliament where you can just stand up and say a whole load of ridiculous drivel in the hopes of bagging a cheeky girl. To do stand up you have to actually be funny, and worse than that you need to be smart, not book smart but actually quick witted.

Lembit’s opening show it is reported will be broadcast by the BBC on their One Show programme so I will have to look out for that so I can make a more informed judgement. He is performing at the Backstage club in Leicester square, a club I know well and have seen some good, and some not so good events there. Of cause I am surprised that with Mr. Opik’s reputation for arrogance and attention seeking he was not trying to have his first gig at the O2.
Opik says ”I have done more than 800 after-dinner speeches in 20 years, which is a form of stand-up.” There is a small part of me which hates to see people in over their head who hopes for his sake that the crowd are friendly, because when the crowd turn against a comedian it could not be further from the after dinner crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment