Thursday 3 June 2010

Digital Vs. Print

I read a blog entry on the blog of Deputy Council Leader Duncan Crow's Blog, His blog was about feeling old at Crawley carnival. Now this in itself did not surprise me, after all I feel to old to go to the carnival and Duncan has almost 10 years on me. (he will probably be really upset and tell me it is 5 years, but he is older than me.) What interested me was a comment he made on press coverage that he has recieved in the past.

"I take zero notice of newspapers, particularly ones that I suspect may have a professional jealousy of this blog."

I have to admit that I found this quite interesting, Blogging is a medium by which in essence we can all become reporters, but unlike the press which have to sell their product and attract advertisers we can blog about whatever we like, and more importantly don't have to cover what doesn't interest us. You will never see a blogger standing on a bridge in the rain waiting to report on a fun run going past unless he has an interest on it.

Does this make the life of a blogger preferable to the life of a reporter (Aside from the fact we don't get paid.) The fact that it only costs you your time surely means that the New Media is the most open form of discussion today, however it is also this which limits its appeal, when you pick up the New York Times or the FT you expect to recieve a certain level of reporting, a blog can be anything.

I doubt that the Crawley News are actually jelous of a blog, even though Cllr Crow's blog has a readership which extends around the globe from the US to China, can the Crawley News say the same? but I think there is areal chance that with the correct organisation Blogging could easily start to replace more traditional media. it just remains to be seen if this is a good thing.

Here is an idea, How about a newspaper of blog posts? each day you can search the previous days blog posts and then provide a compendium of blogs in print format, with a crossword and Suduku puzzle.

1 comment:

  1. I'm 8 years older than you so almost right the first time.

    I'm not trying to do down newspapers too much, as they do cover some good stories and are very useful when they publish pictures of suspects in crimes who the police want to trace.

    However, they need to learn they no longer have a monopoly and they can not just dish it out and trash people without expecting it back themselves.

    ReplyDelete