Thursday 30 September 2010

Satan takes a lift


This is obviously a review for the latest film produced by M. Night Shyamalan not the arch nemesis of the bible, for information on the devil click here


The film is the first of the Night chronicles (Currently planned to be three movies based on the supernatural in modern urban settings.) I personally was not a fan of Shyamalan when he first burst onto the scene, I think this was partially due to having Sixth Sense ruined for me long before I got to see it and partly as the first film of his I watched was Unbreakable which I still don't rate, however with each film after that (Signs, The Village and the Happening ... Less said about Girl in the Water the Better.) I have really started to like his version of story telling so I was quite excited to watch this film but had a few reservations, for example can a film in just a lift be interesting (Of cause not as worried as I am about Buried, 2 hours of a man in a box?)


As it turned out I really enjoyed this film, it struggles as it is trying to be a suspenseful "Who's Evil?" film but everyone I saw the movie with guessed instantly who it was as soon as they 1st appeared on screen - but perhaps we just watch too many movies! I recently watched a movie on Sky (The name escapes me at the moment.) this was basically three people in a lift, one of who was a murderer. there were obvious comparisons between the two and thankfully Devil wins hands down.

Briefly the story is told of when Satan comes to earth to test sinners by tormenting them before returning to hell with their souls, the story is fleshed out by a catholic security guard whilst the events are viewed by a policeman in the control centre - I wont tell you too much as I don't want to do what happened to me with The Sixth Sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment