Wednesday 22 September 2010

The other guys fail to impress.


As the last two "comedy" films I have seen were depressingly unfunny I was dearly hoping that the new Will Ferrell - Mark Wahlberg movie would make some recompense. However to get things clear upfront, out of the few hundred movies I have seen (like a nerd I used to count but stopped three years ago at 357) this is only the second movie I have walked out of, I accept then that this film may have the greatest ending in movie history, but I was unwilling to allow anymore of my life to be wasted on it.


The film was your formulaic set up of disgraced super cop teaming up with a pen pushing loser, unfortunately this is as close as they came to a plot. What sets this film apart from the plethora of (still very bad) better movies is that this film did not feature a single likable character. The loser was a horrible person, who treated his wife with utter contempt. Whilst Marky Mark winged and whined his way through the film like a petulant six year old.


Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Samuel L Jackson are ok in their brief cameo at the start of the movie, but after their unexpected exit you are left wondering if they simply read the rest of the script and decided it was better to kill the characters before their careers.


In summary I would probably say that this film provides a good service as it should ideally prove that brain storming humorous ideas before throwing away the funniest two hundred does not make the rest a script. I am sure that during the planning stage for this movie a selection of comically challenged writers said to each other on many occasions "wouldn't it be funny if..." well now I can conclusively answer - No.

No comments:

Post a Comment