Saturday 7 August 2010

Uni Courses to be Rated

There is an article in the Daily Mail today which suggests that universities are soon going to have to give a rating for each of their courses, The ratings will be in the fields of Teaching Quality, Salary Prospects, Tuition time and Value for Money. This is a plan that has come down from the Higher Education Funding Quango, although I am usually against Quangos as I see that they give very little benefit for the costs, and especially at the moment when they seem to be desperately trying to justify their own existence ahead of the spending review in the Autumn, but I think this has real merit. It is a massive choice what you will study at university with the time either being the cementing of a lifelong career path or simply the wasting of three years before you end up not knowing what you want to do and still working in burger king. Myself I have a degree in politics which does not come in very handy in my career as a Database Engineer – this is perhaps one reason I became involved in local politics, to try and justify my degree.

Obviously these statistics being available on a comparisons website will not stop subject fatigue (I know someone who spent 7 years studying for a PHD in Palaeontology only to realise that she never wanted to dig in a dusty ditch again, and now runs a florist in London.) it will finally help potential students realise that the degree in Klingon or Facebook studies is not going to be the key to a long and successful career.

No comments:

Post a Comment