Saturday 17 July 2010

What I did on my Holiday - Part 5 - Chauvigny


Day 5 and we visited the medieval town of Chauvigny, there is a ruined castle in Chauvigny but we were there to see the display of falconry, Geants Du Ciel. The falconry display is in one corner of the ruined castle and has great views over the modern town, the falconry display was entirely in French which obviously limited my understanding of what was going on, but it was not a real barrier to the event.

The show lasted about 90 minutes and featured many different birds, (Eagles, Owls, Hawks and Vultures.) the vultures were the stars of the show due to their pure size and misbehaving, but the Eagles and Owls also got a lot of attention. The show was very different from the ones we have in this country as the handlers were walking amongst the crowd and on more than one occasion an audience member was hit by a bird (Including me at one point when I was getting a shot of one of the birds and another landed on my head.)

No comments:

Post a Comment