Tuesday 13 July 2010

What I did on my holiday - Part 1 - Driving

Our first day was spent driving; we left Crawley at 8am and arrived in Châtellerault at 18:30 CET so quite a drive not sure how many miles but we racked up over 2000 in total and the majority of this was on the journey there and back, I hired a car for the journey as it was a 7 seater and I thought with 4 adults and a baby we could do with the space. Also as it was a Manual and I have had an Automatic for three years there were gears to compete with as well as driving on the wrong side of the road, perhaps the most surprising thing is that I actually struggled more with the gears (A couple of times stalling as I simply didn’t push the clutch down.) than with driving on the right, after all if you just point your car behind the car in front you can’t go to far wrong, the only dangers were as you left the farmhouse and no one else was around, or approaching an empty roundabout. But otherwise it was fine. I had purposely not filled up with Fuel before going to France as we are always told that our petrol prices are ridiculously high, I was shocked therefore to be confronted with a cost of £1.40 a litre for unleaded, I was just starting to feel aggrieved at paying this ridiculously high cost for motoring when I reached the first toll booth and was charged 8€ for driving down the road, at the second Toll Booth I got my 10€ not ready to pay only to be asked for 24€ in total we paid around 45€ in Tolls and 65€ in Fuel costs for the journey down, so next time someone tells me that the Councils in this country are useless as they had the same bad weather in France yet do not have the potholes I will be telling them where to go.

We eventually arrived at our destination however it was a very tiring trip and was hard work keeping our daughter occupied the whole time so we pretty much just went straight to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment