Monday 2 July 2012

Serious runner, or forget everything.

Had a big decision to make today, 2 months into my training and my wife offered to get me custom fitted for some running shoes as an anniversary gift. Whilst this may not seem like the biggest decision in the world it was huge for me as if I let her purchase them for me then it increases the pressure not to give up on my training, for the first time someone else has invested in me and shown belief that what I am doing is serious and more than just the usual post Marathon season fad. This morning if I quit it all I would be letting myself down, now if I quit I would be letting us both down.

In the end what swayed me to get it done was the same reason that it scared me. That someone believed in me enough to put their money on backing me not to give up.

The custom fitting was done at Running Free in Parkstone in Poole http://www.runningfree.net/ the actual fitting took about 15 minutes and involved running up and down the shop then swapping shoes and trying again. Luckily the shop was mostly empty so it wasn't too embarrassing (always the main worry for someone of my protracted knackerdness) after three trips up and down the store I was informed that I needed lots of support for my arches (This is about as technical as I can get) but the long and the short of it is that I left the store with a new pair of Nike Zoom structure+ 15.
Now to make sure I don't let her down.

No comments:

Post a Comment