Thursday 25 November 2010

Skyline - Death from Above

Latest movie was Skyline (I am hoping to have some posts that are not about movies soon) Now I have already heard from one occasional blog reader that this is one of the worst films of the year but I have to admit that I thought it was ok, although ok is probably as far as I will go.


The film was directed by special effects artists Colin and Greg Strause (The guys who sunk Titanic - In the movie, they're not really old) so it is little wonder that one of the main characters, played by Scrubs star Donald Faison, is a millionaire playboy special effects artist. The male lead, Jarrad, is played by 24's Eric Balfour with his girlfriend Elaine played by Scottie Thompson formerly of NCIS, the film focuses on an alien invasion and as you would imagine given the Brothers Strause's history is very special effects driven, there are hundreds of great scenes however the actual story itself fails to live up to the great effects.


I would have to say that the biggest disappointment to me was that all of the big surprise (Well surprise is a bit of a strong term) moments were given away in the trailers. The film may well have been a lot better if I hadn't seen the trailer but unfortunately I will never know, This actually appears to be a popular trend in Hollywood these days where any suspense or big action scenes are given away long before you enter into the cinema. Aside from my disappointment of to much information in the trailer perhaps the most telling indictment of the film is that the highlight of the film is that the penthouse apartment where much of the action happens has a telescope that is linked to the main wide screen TV, how cool is that! I would like to get one but to be honest not sure that there is much point in seeing the A23 on my TV anymore than I enjoy watching it out of the window.


The idea of the film has of cause been done before and this version really adds very little new to the genre, the Aliens are relatively different and a lot of work clearly went into the depth of different EBE (Extra Terrestrial Biological Entity - The Political Correct way to say ET.) that seemed to be roaming the streets of LA. one review of the film stated that it was a cross between Transformers and Independence Day, Now as I thought that Transformers was really poor and Independence Day was good I guess a mix of the two would be Ok.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely one of the worst, although Burke and Hare was the worst. I didn't see the Twighlight film though so of course I haven't seen the hands down winner of worst film of the year award.

    I suppose occasional blog reader is correct, but only because you update so infrequently but hey.

    As for EBE, WTH??? Do we have to be politically correct now incase we offend any aliens that read you blog? Give me a break.

    ReplyDelete