Wednesday 17 November 2010

Paranormal Activity 2 - pretty normal to be honest


Back to the cinema this week and this time the film was paranormal activity 2. I have to admit to being really disappointed with the first film, I know it received great reviews and the concept of a minimal production haunted house film is interesting, however I thought the execution lacked originality I had hoped for. However as I am a big fan of the genre I was still looking forward to the release.


The first issue with these "first person" films, is that they need to come up with the reason they are filming, this gives the unfortunate break from believability of a character who for some reason feels the need to film an intimate conversation with his wife, although essential to the plot it is not exactly the actions of a good husband. The film makes attempts to rectify this with the inclusion of a CCTV system, this however still presents an issue with the plot as it would be suspicious if all the action occurred in front of a camera however at least they have given it a try.


So on to the other limitations, having installed the CCTV system it takes an extraordinary amount of time to actually check the system once the unusual starts to happen and a large amount of the time is given over to a pool cleaner which simply added nothing for me.


All in all however I did enjoy this film more than the original and really enjoyed the way in which attempts were made to link the two films which although quite possibly creating more plot holes than they closed, including some quite astonishing leaps of guess work by one of the main characters I was at least grateful for the attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment